Wednesday, July 10, 2013

the burnout of 2013

BEWARE:  This post contains run on sentences of a crazy stream of consciousness of how one thing leads to another and to another.  Tell me I’m not the only one that starts a project that ends up leading to 500 other projects.

This is the story of how ripping out carpet in the playroom…

…led to ripping out carpet on the stairs…

…which led to ripping out carpet in the hallway…

…which reminded me that I never finished painting the hallway after the burnout of 2009

when it was the year of wallpaper removal.

So now I need to paint the hallway before I can paint the hallway floors, but first I need to make sure all the glue is removed from the wallpaper removal we did 4 years ago.

So now I’m finishing a project from 4 years ago…

…and as I’m washing the walls, I notice how dirty the moldings are, which leads me to washing the moldings, then I see the layers of dust on the panels on the doors, so now I’m washing doors…

…and wait, is that a dried up booger on the wall?  sorry, but that’s what it looks like, no one knows for sure.

So now that I’ve finished washing the walls, it’s time to paint, but I want to paint it a different color than I started painting it 4 years ago, which makes me ponder painting the foyer because this hall connects to the stairwell, which connects to the foyer.

And that foyer color has been bugging me for a while.  But if I change the color of the hallway, then the stairwell, that means I need a special ladder or a special neighbor friend to trim out where the ceiling meets the wall way up there.  Not a simple paint job.

Hmmmm…that original paint color is looking a lot better to me now.

But then, there’s those stairs.  Those stairs.  The sides still have tiny staples, the top half squeaks and we can’t seem to un-squeak them.  There’s still filling, sanding, priming and painting….the other half of the playroom and the hallway all because I ripped out the carpet in the playroom.

And now, I just stand overwhelmed looking at the mess I’ve created.  I am now entering the burnout of 2013.  But no, I can’t let the burnout happen this time.  This time it’s not just walls unpainted, left with glue residue upstairs hiding where no on can see.  This time, we are left with stairs and floors that look like they just built the house and that’s no good. 

And so I will… in the words of the band FUN…

…carry on, carry on!

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain! I seem to have the same problem at my house. What started out as new flooring for the upstairs has now become a master bedroom makeover, master bath makeover, kids bath makeover and staircase makeover. I painted the bathroom and really love the color. Now I'm thinking about painting my family room & kitchen that color. My hubby is not happy with me right now. : )

    Can't wait to see all your new projects!

    Lori
    Thrifty Decor Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I know where you are! When we 'finished' building our house we were so done with building that a few little projects just couldn't be tackled. Here we are almost 4 years later without a doorbell or a proper light fixture in the kitchen! Regroup and CARRY ON!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by for a slice of Plumberry Pie today! Your comments make my day, so comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...