Monday, July 8, 2013

Painted Floors–How To + Products Used

There comes a point in every DIY that I get completely overwhelmed and antsy.  So much so, that against my better judgment, I skip steps so I can get started already.  These floors for instance. 

Here’s what you should do:

  1. Fill gaps, holes and gouges with wood filler.
  2. Sand.
  3. Clean floors.
  4. Use tack cloth to get rid of dust.
  5. Let dry 24 hours after washing floors.
  6. Prime.  Allow proper dry time (1-2 hours, check your can).
  7. Paint.  Wait 4-6 hours for second coat (check your can).
  8. Sand any rough spots lightly.
  9. Paint.
  10. Wait 72 hrs. for normal activity…shoes, furniture, etc.

Here’s What I did:

  1. Wash floors.
  2. Let dry five hours.
  3. Prime.  Let dry overnight simply because it was time to go to bed.
  4. Paint.  Allow proper dry time (4-6 hrs. for the white, but the gray can said 24 hrs?).
  5. Paint second coat.
  6. Wait. Wait. Wait to put furniture back in…that’s one week before “normal activity”.  Currently, it’s a novelty for the kids to be able to walk in there barefoot or with socks.  No shoes.  Naturally, all they want to do is walk on that floor because I really don’t want them to.

I’m a step skipper for better or worse.  Especially since I know this is temporary.  I tested the subfloors before paint by walking barefoot and deemed the sanding step skippable, hoping the paint would smooth out any sketchy parts.  So far, I’m happy with the results.

I started with Behr’s All-In-One Primer & Sealer and used Behr’s Porch & Patio Floor Paint in Ultra Pure White and Pacific Fog. 

IMG_6314

I did the white paint first and was truly second guessing my plan at that point.  It seemed so stark and I was missing the warmth of the wood.  Thankfully, that all changed after the stripes went down. 

IMG_6285 

Oh, by the way, you MUST use an extender on your paint roller! I was so impatient to start, that I used just the short handle (on my hands and knees - ugh) while priming and it took.for.ever! The next day, I used the extender handle and it took about 15-20 minutes! Oh, and I skipped the paint tray on the white coat too. That’s right, just poured some on the floor and started rolling! Worked like a charm! Don’t pour too much at once though. Just enough to do a little section at a time.  (I used the paint tray for the gray to make sure there wasn’t an accidental overspill onto the white.)

I used Frog Tape’s Delicate Surface tape to ensure my beautiful white floors did not get marred.  Each stripe is 16 inches wide.  We used a chalk line to help guide me as I taped the floors.  You can barely see it, but those faint blue lines are the chalk lines.

IMG_6297

Taping the floors, SO NOT my favorite part. 

IMG_6298

Taking the tape off the floors, THE.BEST.PART!

IMG_6303

More to come on my crazy carpet removal adventure.  This past weekend, I had a date with the second half of my stairs.  It seems the wood is growing carpet pieces because of these nasty little staples.  Going on the top of my least favorite things list right now.

IMG_6316

5 comments:

  1. I love how this turned out! I am seriously contemplating trying this on the linoleum in our laundry room. You may have pushed me that much closer to trying it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do it, Sarah!! I've seen it done on linoleum too. Looks fantastic! I think A View Along the Way blog did it in her laundry room. If not, her laundry room is worth a pop over anyways! I'm sure you can track a linoleum one down on pinterest too, if you haven't already. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never painted floors before so this is great info! Thanks for sharing! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are attempted this project this weekend. I hate our caret but OMG the thought of tearing it out and painting is giving me anxiety!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are building a house and cannot do the floors currently as we are paying as we go. I have wanted to paint the subfloors and after this I am convinced it will work for now and look great! My subfloor is really dirty though, I hope I can get them clean enough.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by for a slice of Plumberry Pie today! Your comments make my day, so comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...