Wednesday, May 1, 2013

An April Showers Birthday

Last weekend, our families came over to celebrate our little lady’s 9th birthday.  The sunshine even came out to play, which is funny since it was an April showers’ theme.  When I asked my girl what kind of cake/theme she wanted, she was stumped.  So we decided to take a cue from mother nature, celebrating all things spring, from rain showers to rainbows. 

Sifting through all the “pinspirations”, we came up with this…

The Cake………………………………………………..

The leaning tower of cake (oops)…covered in all things spring - umbrellas, raindrops and flowers.  And where there’s a rain shower…

IMG_5933

…there just might be a rainbow. 

IMG_5956

This rainbow cake seriously makes me giddy.  So fun and happy.  Pretty sure I was more excited about it than my daughter.

IMG_5959

I followed the tutorial by Cassie of Hi SugarPlum! For the step by step, head over to Hi SugarPlum!  Make sure to stay a while and check out some inspiring home updates while you’re there.  Here are a couple pictures to give you an idea of the process.

IMG_5912

IMG_5913

I was hoping to polka dot the ceiling with pom-pom rainclouds throughout the house, but in the end, we had one cute, little pom-pom rain cloud over the kitchen island.

IMG_5905

Some old school crepe paper streamers were “raining” down the blinds. 

IMG_5906

Umbrellas in rain boots, flowers in watering cans, pinwheels… anything springy, spring, spring.

IMG_5978

IMG_5979

IMG_5972

{My mom painted this watercolor of Erin.  I think she was two in this painting.  Love it!}

IMG_5920

Target had rainbow, raindrop wrapping paper that was too perfect to pass up.  Had to do something with it, so I pulled out the old wrapping paper placemat and runner trick I used on Easter.

IMG_5916

IMG_5914

These pinwheel picks were just too darn cute to pass up!

IMG_5943

There are so many other fabulous ideas out there, but this year my motto was to stay low key.  Trying to make sure my kids’ memories of their birthdays aren’t of me running around freaking out about making an extra raincloud or something.  Instead, I hope they look back and remember how special and loved they felt.  So I restrained best I could.  You can check out my sources of inspiration on my Spring/Garden Party Pinterest Board.

Looking for other party ideas, click here to see some of our parties of the past.

April Showers Party Source List:

  • Party City: large parasols, pinwheel picks
  • Target: paper flowers for cake, raindrop wrapping paper, plates, napkins
  • Dollar Tree: parasol straws, small parasols, pinwheels

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by for a slice of Plumberry Pie today! Your comments make my day, so comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...