Monday, October 29, 2012

Day 29: What NOT to Buy

Well, it happened to me again…that outlet mall moment I told you about here.  I was at Home Goods a couple weeks ago and started piling my basket until it overflowed.  They must have just restocked the shelves because it seemed everywhere I turned, I liked it.  In my defense, they were big pillows, so it only took a few items to overflow my cart.

So anyways, I was losing focus quickly.  After a while, I didn’t even know what I was grabbing and why.

Then I started to reel myself back in.  I have a vision for my family room, but I was grabbing things that didn’t make sense for that, in fact things that were the exact opposite direction I was trying to go.

This little shopping trip reminded me of a post I just read.  It said to bring a word to the store with you of what you should NOT buy.  Something that you would end up taking back because it doesn’t follow the vision you have for your home.  In this case, brown would be the word.  My family room is brown, brown and brown, yet I had brown zigzag pillows in my basket.  I was just grabbing items I liked and completely falling off track.

Knowing what you don’t want is just as important as knowing what you do want.  It really works.  I unloaded my cart and came back with just what I needed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To see the rest of the series, click here.

clip_image001

Want to follow along?

Check the sidebar for your favorite way to follow.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! This is great advice since it is so easy to fall prey to "cuteness" even if it isn't just what we need. I have done that way too many times. Thanks for the advice, Kim!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by for a slice of Plumberry Pie today! Your comments make my day, so comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...