Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Day 17: Halloween Glow Stick Pocket

Between classroom parties and trick or treating, the last thing a kid needs is a goody bag from a school Halloween party.  Buuut, I couldn’t help myself.  Knowing how goody bag trinkets usually end up lost or in the trash, I wanted to keep it simple, fun and useful.  So I went for glow sticks. What kid doesn’t love a glow stick?  And what mom doesn’t love that it will be out of her house after one night?

Only trouble, it looks kind of chintzy all by itself.  Good old Pinterest to the rescue.  My main inspiration came from here and here.  I’ve got two ways for you to make it look like more than just a lonesome, old glow stick.

Option Number One…

If you don’t have time to create individual favors or you simply don’t feel like it, all you need is a minute or two to make a cute, little display.  Grab a jar and tie a ribbon around it or whatever you have on hand.  Boom!  Look at that!  Cute, cute, cute.  Cheap, cheap, cheap!

glow stick jar close up 2

Throw it with a bucket of spider rings and things are lookin’ even better!

glow sticks in a jar

glow sticks in a jar 2

Add a pumpkin, and now you’re talkin’!  Just use what you’ve got on hand.

IMG_4183

And now for option number two…

If you’ve got a little time, here’s a super cute and super easy, little glow stick pocket.

Halloween Glow Stick Pockets

Here’s what you do

  • Cut 12 x 12 paper into 2 inch strips.  Found this paper pack at Target for about a buck or two.  It was a small pack of 12, just enough.
    • (you can use 8 1/2 x 11 too, but you will have to cut and paste extra paper for the pocket or make a shorter pocket) 

halloween paper halloween paper 2

halloween craft

  • Fold bottom up about 3 inches to create a little pocket for your glow sticks.  Actually, I just eyeballed it, but it seemed to work out to around 3 inches.

folded pocket

This will make the print go on the inside of the pocket, but that’s okay, you can fancify it with some stamps or stickers.  You’ll see in a second.

folded pocket 2 folded pocket 3

  • Use glue dots, decorative tape or a stapler to hold sides together.  I ended up using glue dots and the polka dot tape to create a border.
  • Stamp a saying like “boo” or “eek” on the white portion.

IMG_4186

I used glue dots and the full width of tape for the one on the left.

On the right, I folded the tape in half to stick to the other side. (Tape can be found at Michael’s or Target – SMASH brand.)

Do what works for you.

IMG_4188

IMG_4189

The Prototype

If you don’t have stamps just write it with marker or put a sticker on it like I did with my prototype. Yes, I made a prototype.

IMG_4184

  • Insert two glow sticks (pencils or pixie sticks).

IMG_4187

  • For a finishing touch, slide a plastic Halloween ring on it and there you have it!

IMG_4190

I have to say I’m in love with these!

And hey, wouldn’t these make great bookmarks too?

Who am I kidding?

I know they’re going right in the garbage.

But still, they would be great bookmarks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

clip_image001

Check out the rest of this series here.

9 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I love it! :) Glow sticks are super fun anyway, but dressed up like this they are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a really cute giveaway for a party! Love the spider rings on the glow sticks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that! Oh, and I BOUGHT THAT SAME PAPER PACK AT TARGET. We're Target twins. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute and easy. Love them! @ Creative Mama on a Dime

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so fun!! I love everything about them.

    I featured you on my blog today. Come by and check it out: http://www.artsyfartsymama.com/2012/10/pinteresting-features-n-shtuff-55.html

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by for a slice of Plumberry Pie today! Your comments make my day, so comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...