Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Kids’ Bathroom

Since I’ve joined the “Show Us Your Bathroom” fun at Thrifty Décor Chick with my half bath and master bath, I thought I’d keep the ball rollin and give you a peek into the kids’ bathroom.  If you’ve been following along for a while, you first saw part of it here when I took all the doors off the vanity.

kid vanity 2

Once again, I was working with what I’ve got in there and rolling with that awesome faux marble countertop.  I bet you are all getting really jealous by now seeing that I have that counter in not one, not two, but THREE of my bathrooms!

Anyhow, I really didn’t want to go too cutesy so it could grow along with them.  However, I did want it to be a more relaxed atmosphere, so I went with a natural beach theme.  It’s one of our favorite places to go as a family and it just works perfectly in there.  So you’ll find treasures from our beach trips and pictures of the kids at the beach.

Speaking of those pictures…ummm, yes, I do have three kids and I’m not leaving one out, but Jake’s frame mysteriously fell and broke.  Still need to fix that.  Have you noticed lots of mysterious things happen at my house?  Anyhow, the plan is to change out the photos after every summer vacation, but I think it’s only happened once, maybe twice.  I also love to incorporate treasures from our trips like the rocks on the shelves.  It holds meaning for us, plus, it gives a chance to do something with all the rocks we collect every year.

beachy shelves

Here’s the view approaching from the hall.  Besides that horrible sea shell sink and faux marble counter, we were lucky enough to have plain white tiles in there.  Because I was lazy, I mean because I thought white would play off the beach theme, I didn’t bother painting the walls.

kids bath view from hall

I just love this black and white photo of the boat sitting on top of a bed of rocks…kind of beachy chic, I think.  Found it at IKEA a few years back.  And I love the warmth and casual element the wooden pegs add underneath the boat photo.  Unfortunately, we may have to replace it for a different hook system.  The pegs continue to fall out even after gluing them in.   Hanging off the hooks, I actually use our beach towels for a bit of color and playfulness.  I like that it gives them a life beyond three months of the year.  And I just used a simple white terry cloth shower curtain that we’ve had since we were married.

view from sink

Never thought I could incorporate pink with the two boys, but the pink rug was one of my oops updates again.  I bought it for a different spot, but it was too small and I didn’t return it in time, so I thought I’d give it a try in here.  The boys never said a word.  I love the color combo of turquoise, pink and lime green.

view from sink 2

There’s that awesome counter again.  Once, when my niece was visiting, she actually asked her mom what was all over our counters.  Hilarious.  On the counter, you may recognize those striped cups from Target’s summer line this year.  Functional and cute.

view from toilet

IMG_3512 kids counter

And of course, there are more rocks and sand from our travels.

rocks and sand kid bath

On some of the jars, I added little tags indicating the place it came from.

tag on sand jar tag 2

I scattered some of our rocks on the window sill too.  Can’t get enough rocks over here.

rocks on sill

Working with what I’ve got, I think it came together pretty well, buuuuut…..

here are few more ideas brewing in my mind:

 

  • Frame out that giant mirror with rustic wood, possibly a driftwood look
  • Replace counter with 24x24 cement patio tiles…but don’t know if it’s too heavy for an upstairs bath???  Anyone know????
  • Do I just replace counter or whole vanity unit, that is the question???
  • Board and batten with a hook system??
  • Take down linen closet doors for open shelving system like my master

So there you have it.  You’ve seen them all.  Hopefully next time you see them, it will be a picture of me ripping out those counters!

2 comments:

  1. I am glad I am not the only one with the awful "engineered marble" counters.. In one of my bathrooms it is actually on the walls too. Plus it is the tub surround. Barf. I don't have the pleasure of having the shell shaped sinks though. But maybe that just adds to the beachy theme! :D

    I love your ideas to fix er up a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Lovin' the beachy theme! I love the idea of framing the mirror! A friend and I were just discussing the fine points of that the other day! It really can change the whole look of the bathroom. Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party! Pinning to our Pomp Party board!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by for a slice of Plumberry Pie today! Your comments make my day, so comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...